Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion
The Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Hayes has a very large number of parishioners in its congregation. The size of the parish necesitates the provision of several Masses on Sunday and the church needs members from our parish to consider becoming Eucharistic Ministers.
On the 25th January 1973, Pope Paul VI issued an instruction called “Immensae Caritatis” – Facilitating Sacramental Eucharistic Communion in Particular Circumstances, permitting laymen and women to assist the priests in the distribution of Holy Communion.
Responsibilities of a Eucharistic Minister:
- Assist the priest in the distribution of the Body and Blood of Christ
- Help the priests of the parish by taking communion to sick and housebound parishioners of our community on a regular basis, respecting their medical conditions and their homes.
- Provide a Eucharistic Service of the Word with Communion when no priest is available.
- Help with cleaning the vessels used at the Masses and ensuring the corporal and purificators are washed regularly.
- Attend monthly meeting to reflect our practices, pray together and discuss any changes or problems encountered.
- Encourage devotion to the Blessed Sacrament.
- Attend an annual retreat together and be recommissioned at Corpus Christi in order to continue to practice as Eucharistic Minister.
To train as a Eucharistic Minister, you should be:
- Confirmed in the Catholic Faith
- Be a regular Mass attender
- Try to put the teachings of our Lord into practice in your life
- Help others and have reverence for the Eucharist.
- Be prepared to participate in basic Safeguarding training
If you are interested in learning more about being a Eucharistic Minister, please feel free to speak to a minister after Mass or speak to one of the priests.
We need more ministers to help with the distribution of Holy Communion and full training will be given. Training days will be advertised in the parish newsletter and it is a great way to serve the community and to show your love and devotion to the Lord.
Tel: 020 8573 2544